52 replies
Arinoth AdminDM
Votes:
+101
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Admins
DM
Hey all. This is just a quick poll about what the community wants regarding the use of healing items during PvP. While you may discuss it/state your opinions or personal preference, please do not devolve into an argument.
Yes, healing items should be used during pvp.
31 votes
44.3%
No, healing items should not be used during pvp.
39 votes
55.7%
Number of voters: 70
Poll is closed
banner.png
Posted Feb 1, 19 · OP
Agree
List
Undo
Arinoth AdminDM
Votes:
+101
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Admins
DM
Apparently my posts before have not been read, so I will state again:
This rule suggestion has little to nothing to do with events that have happened recently. This is a server setting that used to be enforced via one of our mods, which made healing items useless in combat and nearly useless outside of combat, and that is something I liked back then because taking away healing items actually does rely on skill, since you can't heal up from mistakes you make and it requires you to learn your style of combat rather than simply rely on mechanical gimmics.

As for the comment about lazy players: No, the arguments against it thus far have had nothing to do with players being too lazy to farm mats. They have come entirely from the perspective of immersion and RP integrity, which is why we had this rule back in the day and why I am running by the community the possibility of this rule coming back currently.

If you are going to comment in this thread, where it is clearly stated why this rule is being suggested, please don't make suggestions or assumptions that have nothing to do with what has been said. Read the posts that have come before, before commenting.
banner.png
Posted Feb 5, 19 · OP · Last edited Feb 5, 19
List
Undo
Votes:
+51
Level 3
LEVEL 3
Untagged users
I recall the server setting having to do with Yellow Lotus Potions, not healing items/pots. Healing items may well have been far long before my time. Just because they were made by the original owner of the server does not mean they were good decisions, or sustainable decisions. You are not beholden to his wishes, nor his vision.
Commissions. I do them.

Portfolio | DevArt | Tumblr
Posted Feb 6, 19
List
Undo
Votes:
+23
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Untagged users
So, wait, are we voting to disable healing for all combat in general or just pvp? Because the vote options say for PVP specifically, but Ari is saying it's for ALL COMBAT. These are two very different things.
Posted Feb 6, 19
Arinoth AdminDM
Votes:
+101
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Admins
DM
No, I said the setting USED to be for all combat. The vote is still the vote.
banner.png
Posted Feb 6, 19 · OP
Conceptually, I agree healing items are silly. However, that is how the game is designed. You are meant to wolf down food, drinks, and potions in and out of combat to heal up. Changing that seems... highly impractical. I, at least, have no idea how it could be done in a way that doesn't cause even more problems.

I can't fathom a mod that could be smart enough to allow food in PvE but not in PvP. If that isn't possible, that means a mod that switched off healing foods could have ruinous effects on PvE balance and enjoyment. Also upon dealing with elite animal and thralls in combat, which rock north of 8k effective hit points. Healing is the only thing that makes dealing with those types of enemies practical.

Which means... what, we'd be on the honor system not to use healing items in combat? I'm pretty firmly against any rule that is going to lead to people crying "cheater" when they lose, rightfully or not. It engenders a lot of ill will no matter how delicately the situation is handled. And it is going to happen, a lot.

If people are having a PvP encounter and they want to agree to certain rules beforehand about consumables or weapons or whatever, the more power to them. But enforcing a blanket rule like this seems a mission that can only end in disaster.

I will also remind anyone that doesn't like their enemies healing in combat that all you have to do is put a bleed or poison on them and it shuts it down entirely. Daggers, axes, spears, and bows can all do that, as well as reaper poison on any weapon. You've got options.
Posted Feb 6, 19
Agree
List
Undo
Votes:
+9
Untagged users
I mistakenly thought this had been concluded with healing pots coming out of PvP use, this is my error, my bad. Clearly I have a colourful imagination...

Is there a timetable around resolving this one way or the other, or have we just quietly settled on no-change to the rules after all?
Posted Feb 28, 19
Arinoth AdminDM
Votes:
+101
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Admins
DM
That is my fault. I forgot to announce that we are waiting for the patch before making any decisions on it, since the patch is supposed to affect pvp.
banner.png
Posted Feb 28, 19 · OP
Agree
List
Undo
Page
of 6
NoticeNotices